The sun is shining, the temperatures are increasing, and the days are getting longer.
Here are some tips for incorporating Mother Goose songs and rhymes into your summer activities:
- Sing songs that identify body parts when applying sunscreen. My family just loves the song, ‘Eyes, Nose, Cheeky, Cheeky, Chin!’
- Pack a healthy snack, a blanket, and some water, and head out for a Teddy Bear picnic. Don’t forget your special Teddy Bear guests! ‘Because today’s the day the Teddy Bears Have Their Picnic!’
- Check out a local waterpark or splash pool, and cool off in the water. See if you can see some SLIPPERY FISH, and… beware of pirates! ‘I climbed aboard a pirate ship and the captain said to me – we’re going this way, that way, forwards, backwards, into the great big sea!’
- Go on a BEAR HUNT! ‘Going on a Bear Hunt! But I’m not afraid!’
- Say hello to different insect friends. ‘Round and round the garden, goes the ladybug. One step, two steps, give you a great big HUG!’
Singing and rhyming fosters a healthy family relationship. It offers points of connection, boasts language and literacy skills, and improves confidence for the whole family. Mother Goose songs and rhymes can be incorporated anywhere, within any activity. This summer, engage with your children in the power and pleasure of songs, rhymes, and oral stories.
Happy Summer, Mother Goose Friends!